Help the Street Animals of Morocco was founded in 2006 by Claire Sedgwick, a Registered Veterinary Nurse and Rob White, after returning from a holiday in Essaouira, Morocco. HSAM was set up to improve animal welfare standards for street animals.
The first sterilisation and treatment trip was in September 2007 where 107 cats were sterilised and 200 kittens were given vital treatment.
Since then Claire and Rob, along with many wonderful volunteers have actively campaigned and worked for a better life for the street animals.
Each trip sees a team of veterinary staff and experienced handlers travelling from the UK to Essaouira to sterilise the street
cats and give vital treatment to the street
cats and dogs.
Aims and Objectives
• To provide veterinary treatment to the animals that live on the streets of Morocco.
• To control the street animal population of Morocco through a sterilisation and release
• To provide after-care for animals in need of treatment.
• To work alongside local communities/animals welfare groups.
• To develop and engage in an education programme about the work we do and the
welfare of street animals.
• To develop and distribute educational material to schools.
The Five Freedoms
HSAM abides by the following:
1. Freedom from hunger or thirst by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain
full health and vigour
2. Freedom from discomfort by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and
a comfortable resting area
3. Freedom from pain, injury or disease by prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment
4. Freedom to express normal behaviour by providing sufficient space, proper facilities
and company of the animal’s own kind
5. Freedom from fear and distress by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid
Please consider helping us to continue and expand on the valuable work we do by sending us a small donation.
Please remember, without your help and support our work would not be possible!
We are delighted to be invited to take part in this year’s event. All money(!) raised on the day will help towards our sterilisation and treatment trip in November.